Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gaggia Tear Down

Nice looking crack on the portafilter. I should have caught this in the ebay photos but I didn't. One good twist to get the portafilter sung would have snapped the handle right off.




It appears the pump was leaking at some point in time. During my tests I did not notice any leaking around this area. The stains underneath the pump in the housing also support it was leaking at some point.



The inside of the housing is covered in some tan substance that does not want to come off easily. I hope it will come off with some 409 and hot water. I also noticed some black particles in the corners that may indicate the Coffee was home to some small critter. 



Note the increased staining in the pump area to the top right. I could not find any rust on the housing and the paint is sound.





It could be much much worse based on pictures I have seen on the Internet of other owners boilers after a tear down. I think descaling before disassembly helped. I will still clean it up with a Dremel tool.




It is interesting to see how the chrome is missing in certain areas of the group head. The boiler gasket was totally dried out. Pieces of the gasket were starting to fall off when I removed it. It is no wonder the boiler was leaking in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment